The social networks are one of the essential parts of the digital marketing wave that has taken over the world by storm.
Hence understanding the social media demographics that the different platforms like Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn have the potential to reach will help to enhance your marketing strategy and reach the right people with the desired message.
Over 37 % of the population of the world which means about 2.8-3 million people all across the world use the social media. But the platforms they use and the way these people interact have a great variation.
And in order to cover all of them, many marketers actually fail to channelize their efforts in an accurate way to achieve the best results. For this it is vital to understand where to find the target audience for your business the most so that your marketing campaigns can be optimised in the right way.
In order to help you with it here are some of the vital social media statistics through which you can gain a better understanding and make the most of the social media platforms for your business.
- Facebook – Facebook is a platform where the users show what’s up with their lives through the photo albums and status updates. It also permits the users to create and share videos and bring forth their opinions. Here are some of the statistics –
- Active Users Per Month – 13 billion
- Active Users Per Day – Witness a 14 % boost every year – 1.4 billion currently
- Active Users Per Month on Messenger – 3 billion
- 25-34 year olds constitute the largest population on Facebook
- Apart from those aged around 65 years, of whom only 40 % use Facebook, most of the Americans across all ages are into this social media platform now
- 68 % of the U.S. adults are said to be Facebook users of whom over 74 % use Facebook on a daily basis
About 75 % of the Facebook users in the US make about $ 75,000
Men ( 62 %) in the U.S. are said to use Facebook less as compared to the women (about 74 %)
About 77 % of the adults who use Facebook in the U.S. have college education or even more.
- You Tube – You Tube is the leader in video advertising and facilitates around 2 million video viewing every minute.
- Active Users Per Month – It claims of a global audience of 1.5 million that constitutes about one-third of the people on the internet.
- The adoption rate of You Tube is increasing at the fastest pace among the teens and even Facebook is left behind by this to become the most popular social network platform in this demographic.
- In the US about 94 % of 18-24 years olds use You Tube
- In fact, it has greater reach to the 18-49 year olds and 18-34 years old as compared with any cable network in the US
Over 83 % of the You Tube users make $75,000 a year or more
About 85 % of the boys between the age of 13-17 years watch You Tube. Naturally it is evident that it is most popular with teenage boys than girls about 70 % of whom watch You Tube.
About 80 % of the You Tube users come with a college degree or even higher degree.
- Twitter – Twitter is a speedy platform where the users’ feeds are constantly uploaded. Though its base is not as big as Facebook, but it is an enormous force especially in the domain of politics.
- Active Users Per Month – 330 million (and 1 in every 4 Americans) use Twitter
- Over 70 percent of the Twitter users also use Instagram
- Twitter is mostly used by the younger generation with about 45 % of 18-24 years olds using the Twitter in the US
- Among those who are above 65 years old Twitter is used by only 8 %
- The 25-29 year olds are the second largest demographic among the users of Twitter in the US.
About 32 % of the You Tube users make more than $75,000 a year
Slightly more women use Twitter as compared with men in the U.S.
About 45 % of the new users of Twitter come with college degrees
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn is not just something for job listing and seeking. But it generates over 15 times greater impression on the content that is general as compared to the job postings and is built for the professional usage. It consists of the most educated and affluent user bases.
- 80 percent of the LinkedIn members consider professional network as essential for their success
- Registered Members – 546 million
Among the 25-29 years olds LinkedIn is most popular and it is followed by 30-49 years old, too.
- About 75 % of the LinkedIn users earn around $50,000
- About 44 % of the LinkedIn users earn over $75,000
Men and women are equally into this platform
- About 50 % of the Americans using LinkedIn have a college degree while 9 % are the members are with high school diploma or less
- Around 46 million or more recent college grads and students use LinkedIn and they are the site’s fastest growing demographic
- Instagram Demographics – Instagram is majorly used for sharing photos with family and friends. But over 50 percent of the users follow minimum 1 brand for their updates in this platform
- Active Users Per Day – 500 million users
- More than 1 billion users
- Instagram stories are checked daily by more than 300 million users
More than 70 % of the Americans aged between 18-24 use this platform and more than 80 % the users use this every day and over 54% check this several times a day.
The household income is more or less evenly distributed among the Instagram users. The Americans using $30,000-$49,999 are together with the Americans who earn $75,000.
Among the women Instagram is more popular than men in the U.S.
About 42% of the American adults who are Instagram users come with a college degree.
The above are demographics breakdown of social networks you should analyse in order to form a great social media marketing strategy that will help your business gain maximum visibility and greater conversions.
Derek is a digital marketing expert who has been part of several reputed social media consulting services since many years now. Apart from being a skilled, certified and experienced digital marketing expert he is also a prolific blogger, who has written extensively on various topics including the digital media domain and social media platforms. He has always strived to help out the readers with the authentic and reliable information so that their businesses can benefit the most from what the internet has to offer.